RE: [FW1] Which OS platform to use????

The link is http://www.checkpoint.com/products/firewall-1/pbrief.html.

>> The Unix system was orders of magnitude greater in capacity
>> than the NT system.

You must have been looking at a different graph than the one here. To
summarize the throughput:

NT	     151.88 Mbs
Solaris    188.94 Mbs
RS/6000    231.49 Mbs
Nokia 650  234.70 Mbs
Linux      246.09 Mbs

While the Unix flavors "win", none of these are "orders of magnitude" over
and above NT. Of course, depending on the hardware, YMMV.

>> Also with a UNIX system you can more precisely control what
>> packages are installed and thus decrease potential vulnerabilities.

This has (in my opinion) more to do with the skill of the administrator than
the OS. You can control what does and does not get installed on NT very
precisely. A default install of any OS is bad news.

I'm not trying to start an operating system holy war or anything. I think
that a big factor in the decision of what OS to use is related to the skill
of the support staff. Don't know Solaris? Your firewall is not the place to
learn.

Of course, there's always Nokia!

Loring Rose, MCSE, CCSE
Senior Network Engineer