RE: [FW1] DMZ advantages

If you require a publicly available system, I can't think of any reason NOT
to use a DMZ.  But...

The main reason for a DMZ (and perhaps the biggest advantage) is protection
of the LAN and local domains via network-layer segregation.  This is a great
improvement over a typical (slack) setup, in which machines on the local
domain are made public and "secured" by NATing them behind some lame routing
device.  Remember, you can rarely have too much segregation from a security
standpoint.

The only notable disadvantage that I can think of is that, depending on how
much segregation is required, it can be kind of a pain to maintain DMZ
systems.  This especially goes for those that require a lot of updates and
maintenance.  Look into a tunneling system or the like to provide remote
administration, but be careful!

One more: Cost.  It can be costly to set up a hardened DMZ.  However, this
is all relative to the size and complexity of your network.  Typically,
however, you'll want 1) a separate switching device, 2) some type of IDS or
monitor, and 3) a separate firewall tailored to your DMZ systems.  This can
be really cheap, if you can go with Snort, a *BSD box, etc.  However, if you
require certain advanced functionality, you may need Firewall-1, an advanced
IDS, etc.

Keith W. McCammon
Sr. Network Engineer
AdvanceMed Corporation