From: Carl E. Mankinen [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 9:07 PM
To: [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: RE: [FW1] Blocking ICMP

1) regardless of ANY configuration you have....if you only have a single T1 for your internet connection and someone sends 50megabits/sec of
data to ANY address on your subnet, your entire internet connection will be DoS'd...a firewall will NOT help you.

2) If someone gleans some information about your internal network and should decide to target a particular host in your network they can
spoof the RFC1918 address of the internal victim and use that as the source address in a packet sent to host that you have made public.
This is one reason why you need to have anti-spoofing configured properly and why you need to not allow bastions to talk to your internal
network...and also a reason why you should use a SMTP security server and slap new headers on all your email traffic since the internal
relays have likely put their RFC1918 addresses in the headers.

Stuff like: