[FW1] Port Opening delayings

Title: Mensaje
Since some of our mail servers were put on DMZ , we have been experiencing this problem from time to time.
Their addresses are NATted.Telnetting to their real ip address or valid ip address to SMTP port (25) cause a delaying which ranges from 10secs to even 15 secs!.As I said, this problem ocurrs often but not always, so it made me think to try this test in a workstation on the same physical segment as these servers which produces the same results.
NAT for both servers have been manually added.Also I must say these servers must support a considerable amount of email.
Anyone experiencing this?

Thanks