RE: [FW1] What level of Service Pack to run?

stolen from phoneboy

NOTICE: If you're not running FireWall-1 4.0 SP7 (Solaris, NT, AIX, HPUX,
Linux), FireWall-1 4.0 SP5 build 13 (IPSO), or FireWall-1 4.1 SP2 (all
platforms) or later, you are vulnerable to a number of security issues.
These issues were revealed at the Black Hat 2000 conference and are
extremely serious in nature. You can read all about the vulnerabilities here
.

1.  they don't release sp's for fun
2.  build a another solaris box in a test environment, exactly like the one
you've got and then upgrade it from sp5 to sp8 or whatever.
3.  Sure, stay with the service pack from 1993, and your safe from all those
hackers using 1993 technology, don't worry about the ones using modern
technology, you won't even notice them stealing your goods.

I'm sorry if I sound sarcastic, but this industry is analogous to sharks,
once you stop swimming you'll die.  the hackers keep finding new holes, and
its our job to keep up with them.  They (the hackers) stopped using 1993
technology in 1992, if you want to keep using it, great.