From: Eliyah Lovkoff [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2001 10:24
To: [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: Re: [FW1] WebSite being Hacked!!!

As to the how to stop port scanning:
1. Disable 'Accept ICMP' in policy properties (Checkpoint)
This will make most port scanners to report that 'host is probably down' and that 'all ports are filtered'.By disabling this you loose stateful inspection on ICMP connection but I could never understand what's so good about having stateful ICMP connections.

2. Configure CPMAD to send an e-mails to you (be careful with this you get a lot of e-mails) or browse your wf log daily.If you see that you're being scanned then you can issue 'fw sam -i src <ip_address_you_wanna_block)'

This way scanning connection is rejected.It is better then nothing but the disadvantage is that when fw sam rejects conenction it actually sends RST packet which sayes 'I'm firewall and I'm blocking you' - not very good.If you want sam to drop connections insted of reject the go to the $FWDIR/lib and edit code.def file - replace 'reject' with 'drop'. Checkpoint states that in this case no TCP/IP communication will take place between blocked address and your firewall.

3.If you have 'long scans' that longs days and you don't want you fw log be overflooded with entries then place the entry on Access list of the router and block the scanning address- on the router.

>>> "Felix" <[email protected]> 05/30/01 09:51AM >>>

Hi, all:

   one of my web server (IIS4.0 on NT 4.0 SP6a) which is behind my FW1-4.1
sp3 has been hacked.
I think the hacker used script via IE explorer to hack it.
  My questions are:
1. How to prevent from ports scanning through Internet.
2. How to prevent from being hacked through port 80.
3. How can I enable the Intruder Detect system (not only ip spoofing)

Thanx!