RE: [FW1] logviewer hangs on win2k

We've had the same issues with Win2k workstations/servers and NT 4.0 DNS
server.  The problem is that on the DNS tab of the workstations/server you
need to supply the DNS suffix name of your internal DNS server.  For eample
if your domain your DNS server is on is called internal.com then you would
have to add this.  I haven't tried unchecking the suffix option but I know
adding our DNS suffix in that field has made the DNS resolutions work fine
after that.  I stumbled on this when I had an old issue with a NT 4 server
that was being a pain.  I figured I'd try it when we had 5 different 2k
workstations that couldn't resolve internal DNS names.

So go to TCPIP properties of your network card.  Click on the Advanced
button and then select the DNS tab.  Below is an image and you'll see where
I typed youdomain.com as an example.

Joe Maloney
Network Administrator

                    Elmar van Mourik
                    <[email protected]>                       To:     "'[email protected]'"
                    Sent by:                                    <[email protected]>
                    [email protected]        cc:
                    kpoint.com                                  Subject:     RE: [FW1] logviewer hangs on win2k

                    05/30/2001 11:39 AM

Hi,

I don't use name resolving. The problem started when I switched from an NT4
wordstation to a win2k workstation.

Elmar van Mourik