[FW1] Intranet via VPN troubleshooting

Hi All

I am having a problem with accessing Intranet resources from one of our VPN branch offices. (Using FW-1 4.0 SP4 DES/ISAKMP on NT).

Basically I can ping to/from the site but the performance is erratic average response is around 120ms with the occassional (say 1 in 10) ping time of 1500ms or higher. The internet link at the site in question is v small so these ping times aren't a huge surprise but I though we would just about get away  with it.

I am assuming at the moment that I have some kind of timeout issue. (Unless someone has another idea).

Does anyone know the timeout values in IE browser - or is it at the Web Server that the timeout is coming into play ?
( I would be surprised if this is the issue because I have managed to surf the net on some fairly crappy connections in the past !  ...but you never know...   ;-)   )

Could FW-1 session timeouts be responsible (can't see any drop/reject or any other indications from fw log)  ?

Tim