Re: [FW1] Firewalls in HA configuration

Derek:

     What IP address do you have your internal routers pointing to for outbound
traffic? Do you have it pointing to the "virtual" IP address that both the
primary and standby FWs share?

|--------+-------------------------->
|        |          derekp          |
|        |          <derekp@openansw|
|        |          ers.co.uk>      |
|        |                          |
|        |          05/29/2001 06:34|
|        |          AM              |
|        |          Please respond  |
|        |          to derekp       |
|        |                          |
|--------+-------------------------->
  |       To:     [email protected]                 |
  |       cc:     (bcc: James E Clukey/Rush/RSH)                               |
  |       Subject:     [FW1] Firewalls in HA configuration                     |

Hi,

Has anyone ever exprienced the following issue?

I have set up a pair of Solaris 7 CheckPoint v4.1 Firewall systems in a HA
'active-up' configuration. During testing, we found that if the Primary Firewall
(or system with lowest Priority number) is in standby mode, then it is still
actually able to communicate with the networks that should only really be
accessible via the active Firewall system.

This behaviour causes problems for systems attempting to communicate with the
active firewall as the standby firewall intercepts and responds.

Any help hints or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Regards

Derek Plentie