From: Enno Rey [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Saturday, May 26, 2001 5:48 AM
To: Susan Stone; [email protected]
Subject: RE: [FW1] Does Solaris box and microsoft PC run RIP?

Hi,

> solaris box got route to all these network.  My question is " Does Solaris
> box and microsoft PC run RIP?

Solaris: yes
Microsoft PC: depends on the OS. Win NT/2000 yes, all the others no (AFAIK)

>  if yes, how to enable and configure it?

on Solaris there's deamon called 'routed' that is responsible for RIP; see
the according man page
on NT4 there's a service RIP that's responsible for RIPv1 and there's an
additional, downloadable service called 'Routing and Remote Access' (RRAS)
for RIPv2. For configuration of the former... there's nothing to be done
[apart from a registry key for 'silent rip' but that's beyond the scope
here], for configuration of the latter see documentation of RRAS.
Just a word on the difference... RIPv2 [RFC 2453] is much better than RIPv1
[RFC 1058 => _old_] as it's working via multicast, able to handle subnets
with variable length, integrates password protection and some other
enhancements [nevertheless I normally prefer OSPF but that's another story].

> " I
> thought RIP can only discover the route from the router?  am I wrong?

The solaris box is a router...

A final word (as you posted this to a firewall-list: never, never, never
work with routing protocols near your fw, your dmz, whatever part of your
network that's critical for security. On occasion read this excellent paper:
www.netw3.com/documents/Protecting_Network_Infrastructure.htm

HTH,

Enno Rey

[email protected] --- www.security-academy.de
PGP 74C0 C7E1 3875 E4EB 9B75  8B9D 5E2D 3178 685B F222

IMPORTANT NOTICES:
          This message is intended only for the addressee. Please notify the
sender by e-mail if you are not the intended recipient. If you are not the
intended recipient, you may not copy, disclose, or distribute this message
or its contents to any other person and any such actions may be unlawful.

         Banc of America Securities LLC("BAS") does not accept time
sensitive, action-oriented messages or transaction orders, including orders
to purchase or sell securities, via e-mail.

         BAS reserves the right to monitor and review the content of all
messages sent to or from this e-mail address. Messages sent to or from this
e-mail address may be stored on the BAS e-mail system.