RE: [FW1] FW1 vs. Nokia etc.

Title: RE: [FW1] FW1 vs. Nokia etc.

One thing to remember is that each firewall has it's +&- . Some manufacturers are better at App Proxy. Also the type of traffic you have will have a large effect on a firewalls performance. Define your traffic by:

Spikes
Surges
large or small packet percentages
typical traffic types (http,icpm,ftp,gre,pptp,etc.)

Once you know what your traffic looks like then you can make an informed decision about which firewall makes the most sense. Checkpoint probably doesn't want to hear this but they are not good for all implementations and even when they are the os it rides on has a lot to do with it. But this is the way it should be since if one firewall was the best for all implementations then you and I would not be very secure in our jobs. Remember the best solution takes due diligence.

BTW you didn't specify what you will be doing with your firewall, do you need packet screening, 'statefull inspection', app proxy, vpn?

Due a search on google for Firewall performance. I read an article in the past few months that put many vendors head to head and while FW1 on Nokia did well it was not the best for all, although it was the best of the FW1 platforms. I don't remember what trade rag it was but maybe someone on the list knows and can enlighten us. Just as an aside I have both a fw1 on NT and Nokia ip 440 here.

Michael Cessna
Systems Administrator
RealTime Media
308 Lancaster Ave.