Re: [FW1] Unknown established TCP packet

On Wed, 23 May 2001 [email protected] wrote:

>Is it possible or recommendable to increase the TCP timeout beyond
>TCP keepalive. And is TCP keepalive among the packets that will reset
>the timeout timer of the state tables? Unless I do so I will have to
>disable Checkpoints new feature.
>
>Also, there seem to be bugs in the implementation of this feature,
>at least as far as the Linux version is concerned.

Copied from CheckPoint's knowledge base:

Solution: How to increase the TCP Established connection Grace Period
   (10043.0.110)

   1. Close all VPN-1/FireWall-1 GUI clients.

   2. Edit the $FWDIR/conf/objects.C file on the management (Use a simple
   text editor such as Notepad/Wordpad. Do not use a Word processor).

   3. Under the :props section of $FWDIR/conf/objects.C, add the following
   line: :tcpestb_grace_period (XX)

   All non TCP SYN packets that are not part of an established connection
   in either table will be matched against the Rule Base for XX seconds
   after a Security Policy installation.

   See also How to edit the objects.C file.

   4. Save the changes to the objects.C file

   5. Reinstall the security policy

   6. For properties that involve the security servers, VPN-1/FireWall-1
   must be restarted

I haven't implemented this yet myself.  When I do XX will be 1800.
I'd be interested in any reports on whether or not this helped the
unknown established TCP packet problem.

--
Shane Castle
Boulder County Info Svcs