Re: [FW1] $FWDIR/spool-Dir running full with mails

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Daniel Wirth wrote:

>We have a Check Point FW-1 4.1 SP3 (Win NT) connected to Trend Micro ISVW
>via CVP. The Interscan reports all in- and outgoing E-mails and hands them
>back to the Firewall. But the Firewall Mail dequeuer doesn't send them
>anymore. Now there are several thousand mails in the queue.
>
>I tried a "fw mdq" but this didn't help. I guess, the load was too much for
>the machine. Has anyone expirienced something like this before and solved
>it? Will restarting the Firewall help? What causes this kind of problem and
>how can I avoid it in the future?
>
>If you have answers to one of the above questions, please help!

I'm not sure I can help, but we at Boulder County have been seeing a
similar problem with FW-1 4.1 SP3 on Solaris.  It started when we were
on SP2, but still occurs from time to time on SP3.  We have added the
"max_load 100" line to the smtp.conf in $FWDIR/conf and changed the
"resend_period" in that file to 180.  These changes have alleviated the
problem but it still has not gone away.  I have been trying to open
a problem with Checkpoint about this but there seems to be a support
snafu (they don't think we have a support contract) and so far I have
got nowhere with them.

We have implemented a bandaid fix, a script that runs via cron every
15 minutes.  This script checks the count of files in $FWDIR/spool
and if there are more than 50 it stops and restarts the mdq process.
Details (i.e., a copy of the script) available on request.  I don't know
how this might be implemented on NT.

--
Shane Castle
Boulder County Info Svcs