From: "Ejvind, Kristian" <[email protected]>
To: Paul Murphy <[email protected]>,
[email protected]
Sent: May 18, 2001 12:12:48 PM GMT
Subject: RE: [FW1] Use of this list

> I have noticed in my own interactions with this list that
> many people tend to respond privately to questions or
> otherwise that are posted.
>
> I am sure that I am not the only one who views relevant
> questions from others and look for responses to those questions.
>
> If the responses are private, this must surely lead to the
> same questions being asked over and over.
>
> Else the dreaded "me too!" posts where multiple emails in
> response to the original get posted so that anyone who can
> help will respond to all interested parties.
>
> If something has not been covered in the archives, then
> surely the best for all concerned is that responses should go
> to the list until it is pertinent to take the dialog offlist?
>
> I do however understand that some people will not want to
> respond publically regardless.
>
> Any comments?

Yep. In my opinion, such a high-volume mailing list as this
one, should have someone supervising it a lot more closely
than this one, and have guidelines on how to behave.
Generally I'm in favour to 'post-all-replies-to-the-list'-
behaviours, but when the number of messages per day go up it
just becomes too much. Then, change the strategy to 'post-
all-replies-to-the-questioner-who-later-posts-a-summary-to-
the-list'.
Frequent pointers to the FAQ and the guidelines, or other
net resources is also a effective way of lowering the number
of messages on the list, while keeping (or even raising) the
quality of the list.

/Kristian

Kristian Ejvind - [email protected]
System admin at Alecta Investment Management