From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2001 8:55 AM
To: Tim Parker
Cc: '[email protected]'; Tim Parker;
[email protected]
Subject: Re: [FW1] FW1 Logs & Web Trends

I do something almost exactly the same.  Here is what we do:

1 - rotate the log
2 - export the log
3 - zip up the exported logfile
4 - delete the rotated log
5 - delete the exported log (it's now in the zip file)
6 - ftp zip file over to the archive server running webtrends

we do all of this via a script.

Since webtrends will read .zip files (which is great!), and it looks
through all of them, if you store all your relevant .zip files in the same
directory your set!

It works really well.

hope this helps.

Chad Smith
Sr. Network Engineer
Vertis, Inc."The purpose of the race is not necessarily to win, but to test the limits
of the human heart"

                    Tim Parker <[email protected]>

                    Sent by:                                    To:
"'[email protected]'"
                    [email protected]
<[email protected]>

                    kpoint.com                                  cc:     Tim
Parker <[email protected]>
                                                                Subject:
[FW1] FW1 Logs & Web Trends

                    05/17/2001 07:46 AM

I am working on trying out webtrends for analyzing our FW logs. I have been
using "fw logswitch Filename" to switch the log files daily. I am then
FTP'ing them off the firewall to a remote server that will be doing the
analyzing. It appears that using fw logswitch is not the same as fw
logexport? I as a test opened the log viewer yesterday and selected export
and got a text file and webtrends seemed happy with it. If I try using the
logswitched files it tells me that there isn't any data?

What is my best approach to be able to analyze these???

Tim Parker
EBWorld.com Senior Webmaster
http://www.ebgames.com