Radware Inc.-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of Greg
Winkler
Sent: Mon, May 14, 2001 1:09 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [FW1] VPN based telecommuters, how to secure their end?
(off-topic)

I know this is the FW1 list but it seems a good place to ask this question.

We are embarking on a telecommuting program  and we hope to connect the
telecommuters with Securemote VPN's. I've gotten SR working but am
concerned about security on the telecommunting PC's. I'm not so concerned
about the VPN itself being hacked as much as I am about a trojan or
something being dropped on the remote PC.

I believe personal firewalls may be a solution to this but has anyone run
into one that is scaleable to the enterprise level (hundreds of users)?
We'd need a solution that could be managed centrally as I don't expect that
it would be prudent to allow the telecommuters to make decisions on which
apps to allow thru or which ports to open up. We are looking at the Secure
Client from checkpoint but it seems pretty weak (only enforced when the VPN
is active). What about the SOHO routers that support VPN and have built in
firewall ability (Sonicwall TELE2 for example)? On the surface the SOHO
routers would appear to make my life easier as I wouldn't have any SR
software to install and many support the PPPoE authentication that a lot of
ISP are requiring now.

I'm really just fishing for ideas. So if you've got any thoughts on the
subject I'd be glad to listen to them.

Thanks,

Greg Winkler
Systems Manager, IT&S