Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2001 10:18 AM
Subject: RE: [FW1] beginner's question on DNS

To take this one step further, NEVER check the accept domain name over TCP, in particulary if you host your own DNS servers!  That is one of the easiest ways for an attacker to footprint your network.

Secondly, as the note below explains, take out as many checks in policy properties as possible and implement them explicitly.  I recommend following Lance's building a firewall rulebase document at www.enteract.com/~lspitz.