Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2001 1:21 PM
Subject: [FW1] FW_ALLOC_MEMORY Errors

Hello All,

I would really appreciate some help with this one, if someone would be so kind....

I run FW-1 4.1, SP3 on a Windows NT 4.0, SP6a box. We run a VPN through the box and the VPN users complained that they could not access the network, but everyone could still access resources behind the firewall (In the DMZ, etc.). Suddenly, the firewall stopped accepting connections altogether. When I checked the machine, I found that ela_proxy and one of the fw services were running at 50/49% of the processor respectively. I performed a fwstop/fwstart, and this stopped the fw.exe from running so high, but the ela_proxy.exe started running at 99%. I stopped and restarted the ela proxy service and this returned processor usage to normal, but the firewall was still not accepting any connections. I eventually rebooted the machine and when it came back up, all was normal.

When I did some investigation, I found my event log was full of FW_ALLOC_MEMORY errors, FwAllocatePacket: Failed to Allocate Memory errors and ndis_allocate_buffer: failed to allocate.... errors.

Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. If you need more information, please let me know.

Rob Michayluk
Computer Network Services Analyst
ACD Systems Ltd