RE: [FW1] Multi-tier Firewall topology

>From my point of view this config has no sense at all.

If you have _proper_ config - even a single Cisco router with IOS/FW
can secure you in mosty situations.
If not - nothing will help, even a dozen PIX/FW1's...
To say more, most of the security breaches typically come from _inside_.
Security is not just hw/sf combination - that's the way of thinking.

BTW, if you wanna the _best_ security solution - just cut the cable :-)
No network - no problems....

Regards,

     Eugene

---------------------------
Eugene Nesterenko, CCIE #5283, CCSE, CCNP+Security, CCDP, MCSE

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Schindler
To: Goetz, Jarrett; Paul Murphy
Cc: [email protected]
Sent: 5/8/01 7:25 AM
Subject: RE: [FW1]  Multi-tier Firewall topology

As someone that would happily sell you all this equipment, I would be
happy to recommend your configuration.  As someone with a security
background, I would not recommend this in any way.  Firewalls are meant
to stop low to medium skilled attacks.  If someone can attack you at the
application layer or with a new virus your configuration does nothing to
prevent the attack.  Instead implement one firewall well and IDS and
anti-virus.  If most companies in the Fortune 100 can get away with 1
firewall per site(HA notwithstanding), you can too.