[FW1] SMTP Security servers

Hi

     I have gone through various docs at check point site and thru mailing list advices including one below.
I am trying to start SMTP security server on PDS2100 box but no luck so far. I understand that fw daemon
has to start it after I upload the policy and restart fw. It doesn't work. I am thinking of giving up on it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Naresh

Bless me BOFH for I have sinned.  My last LARTing was 2 months ago....

I had to do the following: Replace a Gauntlet proxy server on BSD with
FW-1 on NT.

This was first time doing this on NT and I learned quite a bit.  Here is
the environment:
BSD box had been the firewall, DNS primary server for the client's
domain, and advertised as the MX record for their domain.
Client had internal MS Exchange box as his mail server, but was not
advertising this box through DNS.  Mail would come into the firewall and
get relayed to the internal box.  Customer wanted to duplicate this with
FW-1.

I had to build the NT box offline as we were going to drop it in as a
replacement.

LESSONS LEARNED:
1) Disable DNS if you are offline from the DNS server.  Make sure you
put the IP addresses of all the interface cards in NT's hosts file.
Still disable DNS as sometimes NT will still attempt a gethostbyname and
not always check it's hosts file.

2) Be sure to patch to at least 3064 if you are going to use the SMTP
security server.  I patched to 3072 and am waiting for the inevitable
other problems I haven't discovered yet to crop up.

3) I had to setup a resource to block potential spam relays.  Through
much help from this list I was able to do so by defining an SMTP
resource.  In this resource I defined a Sender of "*" and a recipient of
"*@*myclientsdomain.com". I put a rule in saying:
Any  firewall smtp->relay_block_resource accept long.

Now here was the kicker.  Putting the IP address as the default email
server in the SMTP Security server setup or in the resource setup field
WOULD NOT WORK.  It had to be the domain name of the mailserver box.
FW-1 would always attempt to resolve the name via DNS so THE MAILSERVER
HAD TO HAVE A DNS ENTRY.  Not necessarily an MX record but at least a
DNS entry.  Putting it in the hosts table did not work. I am used to
Unix where an nsswitch.conf file can be set to look first in hosts table
then DNS, but I don't know the equivalent on NT.

4) For the SMTP security server to work correctly with consistency I had
to have LOGGING TURNED ON for that rule. When it was off it sometimes
would not work.

The end result is that we didn't have to change DNS other than adding
the internal mailhost with an entry (and PTR of course).  Mail come into
the external IP of the firewall and gets forwarded to the Exchange box
just fine. Outgoing mail goes out fine by having the NT Exchange server
make DIRECT connections and not attempting to relay out through the
firewall.

Hopefully this will help someone else fighting the same headache I've
been going through for the last week.  My thanks to all on the list who
pitched in with ideas and suggestions.  Also I found the
http://search.securepoint.com web site an invaluable tool.

Mike