Re: [FW1] Upgrade from CheckPoint 4.0 SP1 to 4.1 SP3

Upgrading to a Current FireWall-1 Release
Q:
What's the proper procedure for upgrading?
A:
Before upgrading: Make a backup of your $FWDIR, whatever that may be. Usually,
nothing bad happens, but just in case it does, you have something to fall back on.
Before beginning, make sure you have the appropriate license for your new version.
The general order of upgrades looks like this:

If you are on a version prior to 2.1c, upgrade to that.
Upgrade to 3.0a.p1.
Upgrade to 3.0b.
If staying on 3.0 series, upgrade to SP9.
Upgrade to 4.0SP1.
Upgrade to 4.0SP5
Upgrade to 4.1SP0 (i.e. no Service Pack)
As far as "how" to upgrade, you should just be able to run the installation program,
tell it where your current installation is, and hit "upgrade" when it asks. Reboot
if necessary. Re-install your security policy when you're all done.
Note on IPSO, you may also have to upgrade the OS as well as FireWall-1. Resolution
1947 in Nokia's Knowledge Base discusses how to upgrade both IPSO and FireWall-1 in
the right order.

Where Did My Network Objects Go?
Recently, I've seen problems where upgrading from version 3 to version 4 on NT
management consoles. It appears that both network objects and rules don't always
migrate across. As long as you made backups before you began (you did, right?), you
should be able to recover by doing the following:
Do a confmerge on the old and new objects.C. See this FAQ: Merging objects.C files
Copy rulebases.fws from old installation to new installation. This file has not
changed format. See also: Where Did My Rulebases Go?
Resolve "Not in Scope" messages that may appear when loading rulebases. See this
FAQ: Not in Scope

Last Modified: Thursday, 23-Dec-1999 15:57:11 PST
(C)2000 Dameon D. Welch-Abernathy, All Rights Reserved. [ Go Back ]
Your corrections, suggestions, and submissions are welcome. Email to
[email protected].