Re: [FW1] Managing a lot of firewalls

I don't see it being a huge issue parsin object.C and genrating diffs
that can be distributed to other firewalls (or generate reports) on
what is different from other nodes that needs to have the same objects.

In my scenario I have 20-25 firewalls, all of which needs to interact
with a WAN where they should idealy use all the same objects, so why
not hack a few lines perl and make sure that people use the same basic
objects (networks, workstations and groups for starters)? As far as
I've peeked in the file it is fairly well strucutured.

Another angle is that we have a set of smaller firewalls which are
used temporarily for implementing projects, which have their rules
integrated into larger production-grade firewalls when the projects
actually know what they need (hands up anyone who has had software
project X come in and hand you a ruleset on day one, and had anything
remotely resmebling it when they are ready to go live with the
project? :) ). Having something like this in place, combined with
Sun's jumpstart allows you to stick one piece of Sun-kit in a plug and
do a "boot net - install" from the PROM, and come back 20 minutes
later to a firewall that has not only FW-1 installed, the OS hammered
down and all that, but also has a complete objects.C that gives them
all the stuff they need, along with a default rulebase.

cheers,
Alexander