[FW1] Site-to-site & SR to Site VPN question

Currently we have two sites -- geographically diverse.

When we create an IKE based site to site VPN between them, there is a delay
during key exchnages that really hinderes the use of the VPN.  Something
similar seems to happen when I am using SR to VPN in from home.  The
symptoms are long pauses/delays and sometimes failure.  If the keys get
exchanged ok, you are usually Ok for a while.

The local Firewalls are 4.1 SP2 on IPSO 3.2

The remote location is running 4.1 SP3 on IPSO 3.3

This problem was seen before the remote site was brought up when using SR to
VPN in from home.

Is there a better way to setup the key exchange(s) so that this is not so
troublesome?