[FW1] SSH on port 22

When we first started using SSH2, we made our users use port 98 to get it off the standard port 22. We are now using some "canned" apps that insist that we use port 22. Does using the standard port 22 open us up to more attacks, and what are the thoughts of allowing SSH to directly access internal networks from the internet ?

Thanks....