RE: [FW1] Managing a lot of firewalls

The idea is to "get all the darned Internet traffic off our WAN backbone".
We are just embarking on VPN (site-to-site, client-to-site/secureremote)
and I don't know it well enough to contemplate the consequences of placing
VPN access points "all over the place". The plan, until I know enough to
change my mind, is to keep VPN traffic coming in at as few points as
possible. So I would imagine that it will be just FW brick's and not VPN.
As far as fail-over goes we aren't after anything fancy. Since we will
still have a private WAN backbone in place, the fail-over will be some
creative default routing changes to get the Internet bound traffic aimed
away from a dead firewall and towards one of our other FW's that is still
breathing (not HA, stonebeat, rainwall, etc.).

                    Sent by:                                        cc:
                    [email protected]        Subject:     RE: [FW1] Managing a lot of firewalls
                    kpoint.com

                    04/26/2001 06:50 PM
                    Please respond to psecrest

Greg,
           Sumit is correct, the official you'll-see-it-on-the-test answer
is 50
firewall modules.  However...
           Are you going to be managing just FW-1 or will you also, as most
instances
entail, also managing VPN-1, maybe Floodgate, with the occasional
RealSecure
management software thrown on the same machine for good measure! Will you
be
putting up one or two "bricks" per site, I typically am seeing two with a
crossover cable for state info and either high availability software(ugggh)
or an OPSEC approved layer 4 type load sharing solution(Yeahh). As an
aside,
I like the Alteon 184 as it is the only box I've seen that does load
sharing, allows selectable 10/100/1000 ports, and supports rmon, port
mirroring for IDS along with EtherChannel port output to a Cisco
router/switch.
 Two per site adds up quickly, and with the number of sites you are talking
you might want to look into Provider-1.  If your are under 50 bricks, your
deciding factor might be how much processing capability exists or you are
willing buy to put into your Management Station(s), and the speed of its
NIC
and network connection if you will be hitting them over the net using a GUI
client.  hope this helps.
                     Good luck,

           Paul Secrest, RCDD CCSE
           CTO World I.T. Solutions, LLC