[FW1] Maintenance of CheckPoint Firewall-1 HA Firewalls

Hi,

Can someone please advise on the following issue?

I have set up a pair of CheckPoint v4.1 Firewall systems in a HA configuration.
On some occassions, however, I have found that the standby system is still
actually able to communicate with the networks that should only really be
accessible via the active Firewall system.

In order to ensure that only one Firewall is truly active at once, I have to
fail the Firewalls manually twice to return the standby system to a dormant
state. Simply stopping and restarting the Firewall software on the standby
system or reinstalling the policy from the management station does not disable
the packet processing on the standby system.

This behaviour causes problems with a number of utilities esp. ones originating
from networks behind the firewalls. I am also wondering how to safely reboot a
standby system, or how to restart firewall software on the standby system
without doing the manual failover.

Has anyone else ever experienced any similar problems and if so are there
any workarounds available?

Any help hints or clues would be greatly appreciated as I have not found any
documentation which helps.

Thanks for your time,

regards

      Derek