From: Jeff Blada [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2001 4:51 PM
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: [FW1] VPN and NAT

Hello,

I am having a problem setting up a LAN-to-LAN VPN using SKIP, both firewalls
are v4.1, running on NT 4.0 sp6. Both firewalls are using automatic hide
NAT. After configuring the VPN, I am unable to ping or connect to resources
from internal to internal network, and I do not see any encryption occuring
in the log. I do get the following error "Encryption failure: gateway
connected to both endpoints scheme: SKIP". NAT to the internet is
functioning properly at both sites. I am able to successfully generate and
pull the encryption keys.

Here is the configuration:

netA --- (le0) firewallA (le1) -- internet --- (le0) firewallB (le1) --
netB

        netA is private: 192.168.0.0
        le0: is 192.168.0.1
        le1: is 209.219.110.130

        netA objects:
        netAfw - local firewall object
        netBfw - remote fireall object
        netA-net - local network object
        	network: 192.168.0.0
        netB-net - remote network object
            network: 192.168.1.0

        encryption rule on firewallA:
        netA-net    netB-net    any    encrypt    long    gateway    all
        netB-net    netA-net    any	  encrypt    long    gateway    all

        netB is private: 192.168.1.0
        le0: 192.168.1.1
        le1: 24.9.197.124

        netB objects:
        netBfw - local firewall object
        netAfw - remote firewall object
        netB-net - local network object
        netA-net - remote firewall object

        encryption rule on firewallB:
        netB-net    netA-net    any    encrypt    long    gateway    all
        netA-net    netB-net    any    encrypt    long    gateway    all

on firewallA: address translation
automatic hide: 192.168.0.0 -> 209.219.110.130

on firewallB: address translation
automatic hide: 192.168.1.0 -> 24.9.197.124

Am I missing something? What should my encryption domains contain to account
for the NAT? Do I need any other rules?

Thanks for any help!

Jeff Blada, MCSE, CCA, CCNA
Senior Network Technician