[FW1] request on a suitable h/w platform for a FW-1/VPN-1 solution.

Hi

I'm trying to establish an appropriate set of specifications for an
enterprise FW-1/VPN-1 Gateway
which will be supporting 1000 users & several servers behind it as well as
up to 20/25
VPN tunnels with remote offices.

Bandwidth requirements need to be scalable - up to 1MB downstream & 512k
upstream.

Redundancy & scalability are of vital importance.

I was looking at a Sun Hardware solution - I thought of the Sun Enterprise
220R
as well as the Sun Fire 280R. Would the latter be an overkill?

I was also looking at Fujitsu Siemens, IBM,Compaq & HP servers that might
fit in the
bill - I would like to hear from people running their FireWall on such
platforms
on their 1st hand experience in terms of performance etc.

Also as O/S , I thought of Sun Solaris 8 (but why does Checkpoint keep on
saying that
it supports up to Solaris 7 - something I have never been able to find a
suitable
answer for) though I'd be ready to consider HP-UX or IBM's AIX (I exclude
Linux
as we dont want an  open source o/s for our FW platform).

Any help would be appreciated.

Best Regards

Conrad Chircop
Manager - Network Developement