[FW1] Selected pings?

Quite a few times lately, I've been seeing pings
coming in to a small selection of addresses on our (class C) network.
(host addresses 0, 8, 63, 64, 127, 128, 191, 192, and 254)
The pings come from different places every time.
Now, breaking a class C network in 4, would make these addresses the
zero and broadcast addresses of each subnet, except for 8 and 254.
So, can anyone tell me what the point is in scanning something like this?

The pings don't make it through the FW, but if they did, what information
could someone gain from this?
I tried this myself, and the PC's on our network seem to ignore the pings
anyway.

Cheers,
Anders RM :)