[FW1] Telnet ports

Hi,
We seem to be having a strange probem. I would appreciate it if someone could help us out here

the setup to put it simply :

client ------> firewall ----------> router ----------> router ------------- > host

We are trying to telnet from the client to the host.

1.    We can telnet the host from the firewall ( tried as a test )
2.    When we try from the client  it just does not work.
3.    There is a proper rule in the firewall Client to host "ANY".
4.    A sniffer shows that the packets are coming as higher ports 1023 etc randomly .... (not 23 ?? ).

there are static routes in place. What else could i try....

Thanks.