From: Chris Arnold
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2001 9:40 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [FW1] SNMP through VPN

Hi, all.  We have a network monitoring tool (similar to OpenView) which does
SNMP polling and ICMP health checks.  We want to poll the internal
interfaces of our firewalls (Nokias with IPSO 3.3) from this one host.  It
works fine on the FW it is directly behind but can not poll the internal
interfaces of remote VPN endpoints (VPN-1 4.1 SP3).

I can snmpwalk and ping each Nokia from directly behind it so I know it
works but not across the IKE tunnels (EVERY other type of allowed traffic
can pass).  UDP timeout is set to 60 seconds and I allow UDP/SMTP replies as
well.  The log shows the encrypted udp/161 transaction and then a decrypt on
the remote side but never a reply.  Not even a deny/drop for SNMP or ICMP.
Thoughts?

Chris