Re: [FW1] VRRP multicasts

On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 01:25:22PM +0100, Tim Holman wrote:
:
: Hmmm...  Nokia's marketing documentation basically says you can do away with
: a border router and have this wonderful integrated IP box that does all.
: It is very capable, agreed, but I certainly don't want VRRP multicasts being
: broadcast to my upstream provider.

Ahh, but you wouldn't be.  VRRP is not used on WAN i/f's.  If you want
redundancy on the WAN side, you're in for 2 circuits and BGP.  Having
provider-independent IP space is also a huge help here (unless you can
get a provider to give you a /19 - good luck!), so you can have
either ISP provide transit to your netblocks (and have the advertisements
heard by anyone who filters announcements shorter than a /19).

The multicasts are only heard on the *LAN* segments on which you've
configured VRRP.

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.
                    My account, My opinions.