Re: [FW1] Connection timeouts on Nokia IP boxes.

I have had the same problem recently and it's been causing hours of headache.
What config's do you have? IPSO version and FW version.

I found an article on Nokia's site yesterday relating to the problem you
describe and I've posted it below. It relates to the default 'FLOWS'
installation when you have IPSO3.3 and Checkpoint v4.1 sp2/3 specifically. I
haven't tested the resolution yet  (will try today) and see what happends.

I coudn't find any reference to this problem with Nokia's on Phoneboy and would
be interested if anyone has any technical information on Flows and the way it
deals with packets (the Nokia IPSP 3.3 release notes are useless)

Cheers,

Jonathan Jackson
Network Security Analyst
AMP Group
4 Broadgate, Liverpool St
London, EC2M 2PA
Tel (44)[email protected]

Nokia article.....

Established TCP sessions are being disconnected after FW-1's TCP timeout
with the error - unknown established TCP packet.
This issue only appears to crop up when the following is true:

1. IPSO 3.3
2. FireWall-1 4.1 SP2 or SP3
3. Flows is enabled (it is by default)
4. The connection in question has continuous traffic.

Part of this problem comes from how FireWall-1 interacts with the Flows
feature. Flows moves the packets through the OS without involving
FireWall-1, so FireWall-1 doesn't "reset" the timer value for the entry in
the connections table. When the connection is about to expire, FireWall-1
queries IPSO to see how long it has been since it has seen a packet on the
connection. If there is traffic on the connection at the exact second that
FireWall-1 decides to try and "refresh" the connection table entry, the
entry and the corresponding flows get deleted.

TCP sessions being dropped on IPSO 3.3 and FireWall-1 4.1 SP2/SP3

Check Point FireWall-1,   SecuRemote/Secure Client
for version: 4.1 SP3  And Before

last update: 03/01/2001 06:34:56
Established TCP sessions are being disconnected after FW-1's TCP timeout with
the error - unknown established TCP packet.
SOLUTION
This issue only appears to crop up when the following is true:

1. IPSO 3.3
2. FireWall-1 4.1 SP2 or SP3
3. Flows is enabled (it is by default)
4. The connection in question has continuous traffic.

Part of this problem comes from how FireWall-1 interacts with the Flows feature.
 Flows moves the packets through the
 OS without involving FireWall-1, so FireWall-1 doesn't "reset" the timer value
for the entry in the connections table.
 When the connection is about to expire, FireWall-1 queries IPSO to see how long
 it has been since it has seen a packet
 on the connection. If there is traffic on the connection at the exact second
that FireWall-1 decides to
try and "refresh" the connection table entry, the entry and the corresponding
flows get deleted.

Nokia Customer Support has been able to reproduce this problem and has escalated
 it to Check Point.
Updates to this issue will be placed here. In the meantime, you can work around
this problem by disabling
flows per Resolution 4188.

Resolution 4188........

 Detailed Resolution View

Resolution 4188
How do I disable firewall flows in IPSO 3.3 and later?

Check Point FireWall-1,   Miscellaneous
for version: 4.1 SP2  And Later

last update: 12/11/2000 15:47:03
Firewall Flows is designed to increase performance of FireWall-1 on the Nokia
Platform.
However, there may be reasons why you would want to disable it.
SOLUTION
To temporarily disable it, one can issue the command:

ipsofwd slowpath

This also clears the flows tables. To re-enable it, use the command:

ipsofwd flowpath

However, it may also be desirable to disable it permanently. This must be done
by modifying
$FWDIR/etc/rc/rc.fwload. Replace the "bolded" flowpath in the following section
with slowpath:

ipsctl -n net:ip:forward:available_modes | grep -q -s flowpath
if ($status == 0) then
ipsctl -w net:ip:forward:switch_mode flowpath
else
echo "FireWall-1: You are attempting to start the FW on an incompatible OS -
exiting" >>& $LOGDIR/fw.log
exit 1
endif

You also need to modify $FWDIR/bin/fwstart. Replace the "bolded" flowpath in the
 following section with slowpath:

                if ($ipso) then # enable flows, if available.

 Don't need check because it is already checked!   ipsofwd flowpath
FireWall-1 must be re-started for this change to take effect. Once you have done
 that,
you can not use the ipsofwd command to re-enable flows.

"Dave Dunaway (ncc0296)" <[email protected]> on 10/04/2001 20:56:59