Re: [FW1] lockdown NT

One little note.  I don't know if this info made its way into public
knowledge, but win2000 beta had a bug that if you had a service set to
manual, and went to a webpage that had a weee bit of malicious code in it,
you might find your services changed from manual to automatic.

If this can happen with win2000,.. then maybe NT?

I haven't played with win2000 for a very long time, but my advice would be
to delete any services you can.

On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 [email protected] wrote:

> On Fre, M�r 16, 2001 at 10:26:17 -0900, Don Leeper wrote:
> > Does anyone have a list of services that can be turned off and what proper
> > lockdown procedures you use on a NT box.
>
> What I do is (loosely translated from German and based on Lance Spitzners
> list):
>
> Remove Network Services:
>
> 	RPC
> 	NetBios
> 	Server-Service
>
> Remaining Network Services:
>
> 	SNMP-Service
> 	Workstation (compatibility for Scheduler)
> 	Computer-Browser (compatibility for Workstation)
>
> Network Properties - Protocols:
>
> 	Remove all, only TCP/IP remaining
>
> Network Properties - Bindings:
>
> 	Disable WINS-Client
>
> Deactivated Services (set to Manual):
>
> 	Computer-Browser
> 	TCP/IP Netbios Helper
> 	Netlogon (Anmeldedienst)
> 	Workstation
> 	Messenger (Nachrichtendienst)
> 	Network DDE
> 	Network DDE-Server
> 	Warn Service (? Warndienst)
>
> Activated Services (set to Automatic):
>
> 	Schedule

"When ever I find even one reason to install Windows on one of my computers, I find dozens of reasons not too." -me