Re: [FW1] IP Design for transparent firewall

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 11:39:36AM +0100, Clayton Nash wrote:
: I'm hosting some servers remotely and have been allocated a block of 16
: IP addresses by the hosting entity. I'm planning to place a FW1 box in
: front of everything and would like to be able to use the IP addresses in
: the most efficient way. The platform will be Intel Linux.
: I don't want to NAT the boxes behind the firewall for a variety of reasons.
: As far as I can see my options are
: - break the address block into 2 4 address blocks and 1 eight address
: block -- use on four block on the public side of the firewall and the
: rest on the other side
: In this case, I assume I have to do proxy arp on the public firewall
: interface?

In a typical colo environment, the ISP gives you one IP address to put on
your edge device, be it a router or a firewall, PLUS an IP allocation for
the network you're building.  You should check with the ISP on that.

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.
                    My account, My opinions.