Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2001 9:42 AM
Subject: [FW1] Split DNS

Hi there,

We just experienced an issue that seemed to be a split-dns problem and I was wondering if anyone else had encountered this or had any thoughts on it.

Some background:
We employ split DNS to allow our vpn users to access internal network resources. We do not use WINS and instead use DNS for all name resolution. In our DHCP scope, we listed 4 DNS servers. Recently, we cut that down to 2 and we removed the servers from the DHCP scope that users were using for split DNS.

After we had made that change, some users were complaining they could not access anything outside our network when they were plugged directly into our internal LAN. It turns out that the only users who were having the problem were those who had SecuRemote installed on their laptops. They could not resolve any names, except through broadcasting. They're all on Win2K machines and I tried to do nslookups, but it wouldn't recognize either of our 2 DNS servers that were in the DHCP scope. If I killed the SecuRemote client on their machines, the problem stopped and everything was tickety-boo.

We changed the dnsinfo file on the firewall to reflect the new DNS servers and had everyone update their clients and all is fine now.

What happened? It almost looks like SecuRemote is still active even if you're connected to the local LAN. Has anyone else had anything like this happen?

Rob Michayluk
Computer Network Services Analyst
ACD Systems Limited
Tel:
Fax: (250) 544-0291
[email protected]
www.ACDSYSTEMS.com

                        Come meet the ACD Systems Team!
                        CeBIT 2001, Hannover, Germany, March 22-28, Location 009, Stand B45/2
                        MacWorld 2001, New York, July 18-20, Booth 1331
                        Comdex Fall 2001, November 12 - 16