Re: [FW1] VRRP question

There are two issues at play here:
     1.  state table synchronization; and
     2.  VRRP configuration

As I understand it, HA is really meant for NON-Nokia equipment that doesn't have
built-in VRRP capability.

OS Configuration with Voyager or Lynx
1.  State table synchronization is best done, in my opinion, with a dedicated cross-over
     cable between the two firewalls, setup with a very tight private address range, and
     enabled with a 100MB link.  For example, eth-s1p1c0 on both firewalls is a Cat 5
     cross-over cable setup at 100MB on both ends and an IP address of
     192.168.1.1, netmask 255.255.255.252 on one firewall and 192.168.1.2,
     netmask 255.255.255.252 on the other.

2.  Both firewalls should reference the same external or internal time source; the time
     stamps on both firewalls are the same.

3.  Make sure you have performed your fw putkey to the PUBLIC interface on
     the other firewall.

Check Point Firewall-1 State Table Configuration
1.  I recommend you turn on anti-spoofing for "this net" to be sure you have integrity
     on your state table link.  Push the policy.

2.  *IMPORTANT*  After restarting the firewall (power down, power up), run
     tail -20 $FWDIR/log/fwd.log on both firewalls and see if the other firewall is listed
     as connected.

3.  netstat -na will show the opposite firewall and that it is in a CONNECTED state,
     not pending or listening.

4.  Now use fw stat -s -t connections and see that both firewalls' connection tables
     are the same or nearly the same.

VRRP Configuration
VRRP is an OS, router, and Check Point Firewall-1 software configuration issue.  The
design requires that a virtual router be created for the monitored interface.  This is a
design structure, as simply as possible, listed below:

                     private network

                     VRRP IP Addr
VRRP rtr 101          |
                             / \
monitored  crcts  /     \
                        fw-a   fw-b
monitored crcts   \      /
                             \  /
VRRP rtr 202           |
                     VRRP IP Addr

                     public network
fw-a is master
fw-b is backup

1.  The virtual router on both firewalls must configured for the same virtual IP address
     and router number.  In this scenario, you must pick one firewall to be the Master for
     the link and the other be the backup (this is done by choosing a higher priority for the
     Master and lower number for the backup).

2.  Make sure you have a rule in your rulebase that specifies the following:
          Src         Dest                            Service          Action          Log
          fw-a      vrrp.multicast.net            VRRP          Accept       <none>
          fw-b

3.  The destination or default route for routers or users will be the VRRP IP address,
     not the physical address of the firewall.

4.  After recycling the firewalls and pushing a new policy, use ifconfig -a on the master
     and check the appropriate interface to be sure that it has two MAC addresses and
     two IP addresses assigned.  Voyager, under Monitor, VRRP will show that the
     master belongs to fw-a and backup belongs to fw-b.

5.  Test the configuration by pulling a cable on a monitored interface on the master firewall.
     Depending on the time you setup in the VRRP monitored circuit configuration, you
     should see a complete fail-over of the firewall to the backup firewall (fw-b).  You should
     see that the backup firewall is now Master for VRRP.

6.  Put the cable back into the monitored interface and it should fail back.

David C. Diemer, CCSE
Enterprise Security Firewall Engineer
Georgia Department of Administrative Services (DOAS)
200 Piedmont Ave. SE
Suite 1420, West Tower
Atlanta, GA  30334
[email protected]
(V)
(F)

David C. Diemer, CCSE
Enterprise Security Firewall Engineer
Georgia Department of Administrative Services (DOAS)
200 Piedmont Ave. SE
Suite 1420, West Tower
Atlanta, GA  30334
[email protected]
(V)
(F)

>>> Francisco Cabral <[email protected]> 03/23/01 10:22AM >>>

Hi,

I'm currently running FW1 4.1 SP3 + IPSO 3.3 on a HA environemment by using
VRRP.

I was reading an artice about configuring VRRP over monitored circuits and
in that article it was specified that, in order to check if the state tables
of both firewalls are in sync, you should run the following commands:

netstat -na

If I understood correctily, this should show you that the hearbeat interface
are communicating with each other on port 256

fw tab -t connections -s

If you run this command on both fws, you should have roughly the same # of
connections.

fw tab -t connections

You should see any connections mirrored on both fws.

My problem, as you probably already have guessed, is that I can't get either
of the results expected. Any suggestions?

On the side, does anyone know how to test the VRRP failover remotely, i.e,
without taking the network cable of one of the interfaces? I've bringing one
of the interfaces down but it gets right up again and the IPs don't have the
time to failover.

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Francisco Cabral