[FW1] cannot connect to Firewall remotely

I have the following setup:

    FIREWALL---------CISCO----------CABLEMODEM

I cannot connect to my firewall from the internet even though i have defined a user with priviledges and the remote gui client ip address.
I have the checkbox "accept firewall connections" checked and have reinstalled my rule base. I cannot even ping the firewall after some idle time with no activity from the internet.

Could this be a setting on the router or some timeout value somewhere?

I can ping and telnet to my router. When i do a traceroute to my router, i can see all hops to it. But when i do a trace to my firewall,
it stops at an intermediate router and does not even hit my router infront of my firewall. It stops 2 hops before my router at the isp.

Thanks