[FW1] reject/drop auth connections??

Hi list

I installed a new firewall yesterday and in the log I noticed lots of
dropped connections to the customer's mail server, the service being "auth"
(authentication).

Usually I have my firewalls reject "ident" connections directed at mail
servers and I think "auth" is also not necessary for standard SMTP
exchanges?!

My question: Is it okay to drop this service or should I rather reject it,
because of the same reason reject is preferred for "ident" (timeout-issue) ?

Thanks for any feedback
Ralf G.

z+z+z+z+z++z++z+z+z+++z+z++z++z+++z+++z+++z++z+z+z+z++z
Ralf Guenthner, Senior IT Security Consultant
Zentric  - IT Security & Groupware Solutions
Office Phone:     +49-6101-556060
Fax:       +49-6101-556065
mailto:[email protected]
http://www.zentric.com
+z+z+z+z+z++z++z+z+z+++z+z++z++z+++z+++z+++z++z+z+z+z++z