Re: [FW1] what is port scan ? our IT auditor found hole!!

>Hi..
>
>1)My IT auditor told me she run a port scan product on the internet and scan
>our firewall internet IP and found our firewall port 264, 265 are opened
>Why??  why it is opened??  What is port scan and where to download?
>
>I found these port are as follows, what is the function of that??

Port scan usually means attempting a tcp connect to each 'port' on the firewall.
It is also often over a range of IP addresses.
As portscan tools go, I find nmap most useful (http://www.insecure.org/nmap)
but watch out, because portscans can crash a firewall. (Yes, I've done it, scan
out, connection table overflows, and 'boom')

>bgmp		264/tcp    BGMP
>bgmp		264/udp    BGMP
>#
>Dave Thaler <[email protected]>
>x-bone-ctl	265/tcp    X-Bone CTL
>x-bone-ctl	265/udp    X-Bone CTL

These may be the listed services, but that's largely irrelevant to the firewall.
At a guess these will be some firewall control services since I know a number in
the 250+ range are used.

--
Ed Rolison
System Administrator

The information contained in this email is confidential and is intended for
the recipient only. The views contained in this email are those of the
author and not necessarily those of the company. If you have received this
email in error, please notify us immediately by reply and then delete it
from your system. Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or
disclose its contents to any other person or store or copy this information
in any medium.