Re: [FW1] Hardening of OS

Hi,

Brian Tan Wee Beng wrote:

> I was having a disussion with a engineer on hardening the OS and he say
> that actually there's not a need to harden it since the inspection module is
> sitting on the kernel level.This means that all packets will be processed by
> the module before they reach the OS.If the packets do not pass inspection,
> they are either dropped or rejected according to the rule base.So is it
> true???

Yes, the inspect engine is located in the kernel, between layer 2 and layer 3. So
it's really below the OS and protecting it.
But working in security for quite a long time, I became a kind of pessimist. What if
you stop the engine or unload the rulebase? Then the gateway must not be vulnerable
and should not forward packets.
So I think, even if many people say that it's not absolutely necessary, the
hardening of the OS is essential for the security. A good collection of "how to" can
be found e.g. at the site of Lance Spitzner (http://www.enteract.com/~lspitz/). He
describes how to harden Solaris, Linux and NT.
Hope it helps,
best regards
Matthias

begin:vcard
n:Leu;Dr. Matthias
tel;cell:tel;fax:+49 8102 895 199
tel;home:+49 89 69759390
tel;work:+49 8102 895 190
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.aerasec.de
org:AERAsec Network Services and Security GmbH
adr:;;Wagenberger Strasse 1;D-85662 Hohenbrunn;;;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:[email protected]
fn:Dr. Matthias Leu
end:vcard