From: Ed Rolison <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [FW1] Solaris8
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 11:20:38 +0000 (GMT)

 >Nobody is dooing it... Dosent work.

I seem to recall trying it, and having wonderful fun with the fact that I
was
using a 64bit kernel. And FW1 just refused to load. (This was on an Ultra 5)
I finally managed to get it 'cooking' by modifiying the boot-file parameter
on
the eeprom. (change it from the default of kernel/sparcv9 to I _think_
kernel/sparc but I can't remember precisely) It'd start up, and wasn't too
flaky. But IIRC Solaris 8 isn't a supported environment, so if you ever had
any
problems then the first thing they'd tell you to do is switch to an
'approved'
OS.

Not the most useful of things on a mission critical system :)

I still run the the GUI on a PC, since I'm not very impressed with the
Openlook
GUI. For some reason, the PC gui seems to remain about 3 versions ahead of
the
Openlook version :)

--
Ed Rolison
System Administrator

The information contained in this email is confidential and is intended for
the recipient only. The views contained in this email are those of the
author and not necessarily those of the company. If you have received this
email in error, please notify us immediately by reply and then delete it
from your system. Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or
disclose its contents to any other person or store or copy this information
in any medium.