Re: [FW1] Firewall doing spam relay ?

Thanks to:
Chris F <[email protected]>
and
Assaf. <[email protected]>
who responded with recommendations:
SecurePoint - Checkpoint FireWall-1 Archive
and
ftp://ftp.ealaddin.com/pub/manuals/stop%20spammers.pdf

Turned out to be my debugging technique ( I think). The key that I twigged on to was that Chris used a deny. What was happening for me was that the first filter was being applied and firewall started doing proxy. When the session was set to fail because of the bad recipient it used the subsequent more global accept (which also applied). I thought that only the first applicable rule was used, it cascaded down after the securrity server had already kicked in!

Chris F wrote:

Greg,
I recently posted a Howto on this on this elist.
Please search the archives.
found it ... see above
FW1 SMTP security server must also be protected
against the use of "%" and "!" notation.
Our mail server isn't susceptible to this I believe.
My debugging rule was to open a small vulnerability (one specific site) and keep the bulk of email flowing directly to the mail server which was not vulnerable
> from "outside telnet site" destined for "mail-server" using "smtp->mail-resource" accept
and
> from "not-us" destined for "mail-server" using "smtp" accept.
I needed a new rule in between them which read:
from "outside telnet site" destined for "mail-server" using "smtp" deny

The resource.

> The mail
> resource has been
> set up as:
>
>    * Match
>         o Sender *
>         o Recipient *@{mel.gcs.com.au,syd.gcs.com.au,gcs.com.au}
now works to produce:
"
rcpt to:<[email protected]>
554 Mailbox unavailable.
"
MUCH BETTER :-)

Greg Stroot ----Technical Services Manager----        [email protected]
GCS P/L     97 Highbury Road Burwood Vic. 3125 http://www.gcs.com.au
ph: +61 3 9888 8522       fax: +61 3 9888 8511      mob: 0402 473 113