Re: [FW1] Cutting Out Mail Headers....

Brad Van Orden wrote:

> See the lines below where it says "Original Message?"
> The "From:," "Sent:," "To:," and "Subject:" lines are all part of
> the header.  If you remove them, how is any server going to know
> how to deliver your e-mail?

Brad,

Go get the O'Reilly sendmail book and read section 1.7 "The Envelope".
Reread it and look through the spam mail that you receive and until you
understand that those headers don't necessarily have anything to do with
a server delivering e-mail.  The most important part of section 1.7 is
this:

"When sending network mail, sendmail must give the remote site a list of
sender and recipients SEPARATE FROM AND BEFORE it sends the mail message
(header and body)."

"Because this information is conveyed separately from the message
header, it is called the envelope."

Do some experimentation by using telnet or netcat to connect directly to
an SMTP server.

$ telnet mailserver.mydomain.com 25
Connected to mailserver.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mailserver.mydomain.com ESMTP Tue, Mar 2001 09:26:52 -0700 (MST)
HELO laptop.mydomain.com
250 mailserver Hello laptop.mydomain.com [10.1.1.10], pleased to meet
you
MAIL FROM: [email protected]
250 2.1.0 [email protected]... Sender ok
RCPT TO: [email protected]
250 2.1.5 [email protected]... Recipient ok
DATA
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself

Look ma, no headers!

-bye
.
250 2.0.0 f2DER2Q04034 Message accepted for delivery
QUIT
221 2.0.0 mailserver.mydomain.com closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.
$

The RCPT command is what specifies the recipient.  A To: header within
the message is not even necessary.  If a From: header does not exist,
sendmail and others will use the argument to the MAIL command to fill in
a From: header.  Here is the resulting message as it appears in the
spool file after delivery with all headers included: