Re: [FW1] How to block ICQ

>I've just managed to block ICQ from my network using FW-1. As I was not able
>to easily find out how to do it from posting on this list, I thought I
>should share the experience.
>
>It seems that between researching how to block it a while back and
>implementing the rules this week that ICQ have introduced a new version that
>uses a new set of login servers. I include here a blocking solution, based
>on IP addresses, not individual ports.
>
>I don't really want to get into a discussion of why you would want to block
>the service or not or if it should be left to the HR department or not.
>However I can't resist stating these facts: originally (back in '99 was when
>I last checked) ICQ had a page on their website to assist FW admins in
>disabling ICQ access from within their networks. Now the only information is
>on how to enable it. Couple this with the fact that the program attempts to
>hide its communications on a variety of well-known port numbers - obvious
>points to exploit security holes in loosely/poorly configured firewalls.
>Draw your own conclusions.
>
>Here are the details:
>Original fix - block the following IP addresses completely:
>216.122.100.172 (ICQ proxy)
>205.188.153.0 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 (ICQ range of servers)
>This fix has not been verified by myself. However it was reported as working
>at one stage.
>
>New fix - block all IPs that are part of login.icq.com (three servers
>currently):
>205.188.3.160
>205.188.3.176
>64.12.162.57
>I have the above three servers and the entirety of the first fix
>implemented. I do not know if it will work without implementing the original
>fix as well. I suspect that both are required.
>
>As part of my testing of the solution I logged the attempted login process.
>Below are the ports that ICQ attempted to connect to (on one of the three IP
>addresses shown above). Note that the names are as supplied by the FW-1 Log
>Viewer. I have supplied the port number in brackets - I believe these to be
>correct. If you need to double-check, just install ICQ yourself - it tells
>you the port numbers that it is attempting to connect on (I didn't note
>these down).
>AOL (5190)
>17479
>daytime (13)
>ftp-data (20)
>ftp (21)
>telnet (23)
>smtp (25)
>time (37)
>nameserver (42)
>69 (tftp)
>gopher (70)
>finger (79)
>http (80)
>88
>pop3 (110)
>auth (113)
>nntp (119)
> [...]

Well, the idea myself and a collegue came up with (this was for blocking
napster) was a DNS tweak to make it resolve to 127.0.0.1 on '*.napster.com'

I guess this would be similarly effective for ICQ but I have not tried it.
It'll just appear to be permanantly down.

Most effective for preventing the average user connecting.
Yes, I know they can override DNS, but the idea was this would get most of them.
It gets very hard to totally block very creative users (best one I saw was
tunneling SOCKS across HTTPS to an external server.)

--
Ed Rolison
System Administrator