Re: AW: [FW1] WWW Timeout

> I'm not quite sure wether I understand the problem- WWW is stateless,
>unless I am mistaken. There is no WWW connection to be dropped if the user
>is idle. Other protocols are different, but that is totally unrelated to
>FW-1 being stateful. Stateful primarily means that you don't need back-rules
>for a connection (as you need with non-stateful packet filters) as the
>connection is kept in a state table. Being able to drop a connection after
>some idle time is a sideeffect. And not always wanted, I might add, see the
>post of Ben Karlo.
> Logging mail is possible as Ed describes. But I'd personally prefere to log
>mail volume somewhere else than on the firewall, as my logs tend to grow
>quite quickly.

Depends what you mean by stateless. WWW uses TCP/IP, and thus is 'connection
orientated' as opposed to UDP which is not. This means that you open a
connection, and data which is 'related' to that connection (IE like the data
from the web page) is sent back along the same connection.

It could be considered stateless in that HTTP requests can (and probably should)
be considered independant of one another.

Just because you have a HTTP get coming from the same site as a previous one,
that doesn't mean it's the same person on the end (proxy server? NATed network)

Basically, each time someone wants a web page, their machine opens a new
connection. So unless you have some really really big web pages, a timeout is
unlikely. For example, an idle telnet is an open connection which hasn't
recieved any data for ages. Compare this to a web page get (telnet to a website
on port 80, type 'GET / HTTP/1.0') and you'll get a page sent, and the
connection closed.

If your intention is to stop 'idle' www users, because of the nature of web
pages, it is impossible to determine. You can do it server side with a cookie or
somesuch though.

My mail logging is done on a mail server, where it should be. Firewall was an
example, but not a really practical one.

--
Ed Rolison