RE: [FW1] Secure Client and NAT

you could of course use the :encrypt_db (true) option in the :options section to encrypt the userc.c file
-----Original Message-----
From: Rafiyq Mondesir [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: 07 March 2001 18:59
To: [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: RE: [FW1] Secure Client and NAT

>If you don't need any direct connections to your firewall this
>would be fine, but since you're using SecuRemote that is not an option. And
>you will not be able to completly "stealth" your Firewall. To have an VPN
>configuration running you will have to allow communication directly to the
>VPN device and have a public address on your VPN device (as far as my
>knowledge 'bout VPNs goes).

Ah-ha!  Therein lies the crux of the matter.  Indeed, the information provided in the userc.C file is necessary for VPN connectivity regardless of vendor. However, you have just confirmed (perhaps) a weakness in Checkpoint's implementaion of VPN in contrast to a vendor like Axent who's technology (as far as I am able to determine) encrypts the details on the network so that it is not easily obtained.  Also, the Axent product does not provide as much info (even encrypted) as Checkpoint does.  Specifically I a! m thinking of the implementation of the VPN server inside the firewalled network with a rule in the FW rulebase allowing access via a NATed TCP/IP address to the VPN server from the VPN client.  Thus, an encrypted tunnel will be established from the client on the Internet through my FW to the VPN server.

This might work using Checkpoint's VPN in a way other than their documentation suggests.  Worth a try?