[FW1] Ping Latency (repost)

Ladies, Gentlemen,

I've had a look through the archives but couldn't find anything, so...

My problem is this:

If I ping a site from my cisco box (which is in front of the FW) I might get
a result like this:
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 24/29/36 ms

Now, a ping from my workstation behind FW-1 gives me this result:
Min = 301ms, Max =  340ms, Avg =  320ms
(Target system is running NT4.)

Next, I ping a completely different system on a compeltely different
network. First, from my cisco:
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 320/413/513 ms

Then again, from my workstation:
Min = 60ms, Max =  110ms, Avg =  80ms
(Target system is running some unix.)

Could someone help me with understanding this? How is it possible that I
have discrepancies like these when there's nothing but a Nokia box between
me and the cisco? As for the hardware, I'm using a Nokia IP330 with 64MB
RAM, 233Mhz Processor and very little load on the box.

Any hints are highly appreciated,

	Joerg