From: Chris F
To: Jason Witty, CISSP; Brian Mulford; Check Point FW List (E-mail)
Sent: 3/1/01 9:28 PM
Subject: Re: [FW1] Firewall names

...that, and I would avoid "reserved" words.

Not only for FW1, but for the OS you're running on.

My firewall used to be called "gateway" in DNS (hey, I
wasn't working here then!).

According to a SUN doc, sometimes that can cause
problems -- and it will be impossible to find, since
you wouldn't think the hostname would have that
impact.

Don't know if it's true -- just FYI.

Thanks -- Chris

--- "Jason Witty, CISSP" <[email protected]> wrote:

> There was a thread on naming firewalls "firewall1",
> specifically, a few
> months back.  Basically, Check Point has a problem
> handling firewalls named
> "firewall1" in some cases.  So I'd definitely steer
> clear of doing that (if
> not for the obvious security implications, for the
> "bug" factor).  HTH
>
> Jason
>
> At 01:14 PM 2/28/01 -0500, Brian Mulford wrote:
> >
> >Everyone,
> >
> >I have a client that insists on naming firewalls
> FW1 and FW2 or
> >Firewall1 and Firewall2(NT machines). I advised
> that its not good
> >practice to name firewalls anything that could
> indicate to the outside
> >world that this is indeed a firewall. Am I off the
> wall think that?
> >
> >Brian

> see the instructions at

> =====