[FW1] Disappearing NAT - Flakey NAT sufferers

Thanks for your responses.  It seems that the problem spans both manualNAT
and autoNAT techniques.  It also spans platforms and is not just a Nokia
problem. It spans service pack levels.  We run NT and Nokia's and have seen
it on both. I'd like to propose we share more information to find a common
thread.  I'll start that process now.

Our NT Firewalls are running 512meg memory and are 4.1 SP3
Our Nokias are 330s, running 64meg of memory and are at 4.1 SP2 with flows.
IPSO 3.3-FCS3
We run 10Dot networks across all sites.
We use VPN's extensively to replace Frame Relay
We have subnetted the 10Dot address space with a 23 bit subnet mask
We allow anything outbound.
We hide behind the FW outside interface
Manual Nat rules in place to replace most autoNAT hides for inside nets.
Left some autoNAT in place to see if their is a difference.
-we have had re-occurrences
We allow access thru the FW to static servers.  Like with hiding, some auto
replaced with Manual
-no conclusion yet - but no problems reported in 2 weeks, MASSIVE admin
headache to replace auth with manual here !!!
Symptoms go like this
sites report web-browsing getting slow - push fixes
sites report 10Dots can't browse - push fixes
sites report inbound access to statically mapped servers fails - sometimes a
push fixes this, sometimes not, when it does not
we have to define a new static entiry for anything at the site' , then push
- or delete the failing entity, push, redefine and push again.  In some
cases none of this works, then we fwunload/fwstop/delee the state
tables/fwstart/push - a major wrestling match.

In my mind it can only be a checkpoint problem.  If anyone is experiencing
this problem and is going to the conference in Nashville - I suggest we
collaborate and present a unified case.  Unified voices are better that
one-at-a-time complaints.

This problem has ruined the credibility of our 20 site VPN Firewall
implementation.  The reputation was flawless until we upgraded - almost zero
problems, but since then it had been an absolute mess.  To make matters
worse, I think the Checkpoint's response to the whole thing - in the way
they support my VAR stinks.  I think I have a good VAR, however, they
ultimately have to depend on checkpoint for support.  As far as I can see,
their problem is my problem.  Bottom line is that this is absurd and must be
fixed.

As far as I can see we have a textbook implementation of a private address
space - an absolute necessity for us - which now is fraught with
intermittent failures that makes the whole approach look questionable.
Again, absurd, because this is what Checkpoint is selling, this is their
flagship - the integrated VPN.

George JanzNorth StoningtonFairfax